The NPC Quest is an optional objective in Anodyne in which you talk to several NPC's in a sequence.
This quest reveals that someone who looks like you has been traveling around in The Land looking for something.
The order of NPC's to talk to is:
- Golem on the Cliffs: "Golem: Oh, yes, I met someone who was little lost...they told me they were going off to look around the beach."
- Hews on the Beach: "Hews: You're looking for someone, huh? I remember I was sitting here when a few clouds passed by the sun. While the sun was occluded, someone walked up to me and asked where something was. I don't remember what it was, but the person ran off, saying they were heading to the forest."
- James in the Forest: "James: Someone came by. They did not want berries. Went to southeast part of lake to the west."
- Rank in the Fields: "Rank: Eh? Yes! Someone came by here. Said they were going to an underground labyrinth...I bet they've got a lot of bushes there, eh Young? Eheheh!"
- Hiding Man in the Underground Labyrinth: "Oh...now that I think about it, a person walked by here a while ago. Said they were looking for something...even looked a bit like you! I don't remember when, sorry. It's hard to tell the time in here. But they said they were going to head off to a nearby town."
- Foreign Suburbanite in Young Town: "Yes. I observed a person walk by. They were looking for something. I don't know where their 'something' could be. The person went off in a hurry. Said they needed to head to an alternate area of space. Sounds fancy."
- Drifter Entity in Space: "OHH - - - LOOKING FOR ANOTHER HUMAN - - - I SEE . LET ME ACCESS MY MEMORY . . . READ ( 0X0C00400 , STDOUT , 100 ) ; . . . . . . . . . . . . A HA . . . THE PERSON HAD A FLASH OF INSIGHT AND SAID THEY WERE HEADING OFF TO A SHED IN SOME WELL-KEPT FIELD. NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT . . . YOU LOOK SIMILAR TO THEM ! ! ! ARE YOU SURE IT WASN'T YOU ? ? HUH ? MM ?"
- "Mitra: Hey, I just remembered - someone said they were trying to find something earlier. I wasn't sure what they were talking about, so they said they were going to the mountains - ran off in a hurry."
- "Oh, you're lost? Have you looked around the beach? Maybe someone there can help you out. It looks like that key of yours comes in a set. Maybe you need to find more?"
- "Oh, you're lost? Have you looked in the forest to the east? That key you have - it looks like it comes in a set. Maybe you need to find others?"
The North East stairs in the GO courtyard start working, although the stairs are inaccessible before New Game+. The stairs take you to a room with blinding light and a rock that tells you how to find Overworld Station:
The shiny rock reflects only a bit of the light from the room. There is writing etched into it: "Quickly, before I have to leave again (It is getting very light in here, this always happens) - the northwest part of the blue forest - I saw another temple entrance just to the north, past those trees - if only I could switch things at will to get through there...maybe I'll do this the next time I revisit this world."